In this era, the whole world is suffering from low back ache (LBA) at least for once in their life time. Its prevalence and incidence are increasing day by day among our generation. Almost 80% of our population is suffering from low back pain. 2% to 40% of people have its complication, sciatica. The changes in our lifestyle, including dietetic, physical and professional modification can be considered as the fundamental reason. So addressing the exact reason and its proper management is obligatory to maintain a healthy generation.
In general, LBA will come under acute or chronic nature. If the pain lasts for more than 3 months, it is chronic one. Such conditions securely need the advice of an expert physician. As per the presentation of the patient, its mode of management also may vary.
- Weight lifting/ Sudden movements/ Over straining
- Poor posture/ Long drive/ prolonged sitting
- Age related
If the pain is severe and not comes down, it is mandatory to rule out the underlying cause through further investigation (blood, radiological examination etc.). The chances will be,
- Degenerative changes/ Disc disease/Joint related issues / nerve compression
- Muscle spasm
- Infectious conditions (bone, internal organs etc. E.g.: urinary tract infection, osteomyelitis etc.)
- Constipation/ gastric issues/ abdominal discomforts
- Gynecological issues/ pregnancy
The patient may present Low back pain associated with Stiffness, swelling and heaviness, restricted movements, radiating pain, numbness and burning sensation.
In advanced stages, weakness of legs, foot drop, uncontrolled urine and bowel passage can be expected.
Management – Home remedies
In very less severe conditions some home remedies will be helpful to get relief. They include,
- Hot water bag application/ Steam application (directly or by using cloth)
- Ice pack application
- Mild muscle relaxation exercises
But always cautious to seek help from physician if it is not under your control. Otherwise it may make further complication.
The Ayurveda system of medicine always addresses the amavastha or inflammatory stage before starting the treatment to make it effective and to reduce its recurrence.
In the initial stage, appropriate procedures are,
- Dry heat therapies (valuka sveda, Choorna pinda sveda, Dhanyamladhara, Udwarthana etc.)
- Poultice application (kottamchukkadi churna with dhanyamla, Rasnadi churna with jambeera swarasa etc.)
In chronic neck pain after the removal of amavastha oil therapies are adopted, it will promote strengthening of the muscles and rejuvenation of the affected joints. The choices will be,
- Kizhi – Jambeera/ Pathrapotala / Andapinda/shashtika pinda sveda
- Kati vasthi
- Vasthi – sneha vasthi/ vaitharanam/ kashaya vasthi
Internal Medicines should have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and strengthening action. Some commonly used medicines are Maharasnadi kashaya, Rasna sapthakam kashaya, yogarajaguggulu etc. In degenerative conditions guggulu thikthaka grutha, Maha thikathaka grutha, Gandhathailam etc. will also improve the condition
Beyond all those treatments, prevention has a definite place. It includes
- Correction of posture
- Taking breaks in between hectic tasks
- Stretching and strengthening exercise for low back muscles